Dr. Ana Y. Guerrero was born in Mexico City and raised on a ranch in California. She is a PhD graduate from the UC Santa Barbara Department of Education where she conducted longitudinal research on Latinx students’ college and career aspirations development. She received her bachelor’s degree in Sociology from UC Berkeley and her master’s degree in Education with an emphasis in Culture and Development from UC Santa Barbara. Her academic, professional, and personal experiences inform her commitment to advocate and further equity and inclusion in higher ed, especially graduate school. She is proud of completing her academic career debt-free (via scholarships, fellowships, work, and stipends).
Dr. Guerrero believes access to information is crucial for first-generation college students, thus, she founded FirstGen_Resilience. Grounded in research, practice, and personal experiences, FirstGen_Resilience empowers students by providing higher education information, exposure, guidance, and motivation with a holistic, culturally relevant approach. For her academic accomplishments and student advocacy, she has been featured on multiple platforms, including being interviewed live in the largest American Spanish-language news network in the U.S. (Univision), having a cover story in a national news media magazine, and most recently selected for the “Education Advocate'' of the year award in her hometown.
Her future professional aspirations include writing a book that serves as a resource for other first-gen college students, publishing her research, and continue working with students. She also looks forward to continuing to travel the world. Hobbies that recharge her are working on jigsaw puzzles, reading, traveling, walks on the beach, dancing cumbia, crafting, and spending time with her family.
- Dissertation: Click Here
- Univision Noticias Interview (en español) Click Here
- University of California News: "From rural ranch life to a doctorate" Click Here
- AL DIA News Media: "Ana Guerrero and her Love Story for Education" Click Here
- Latino Community Stage: "Worlds Collide: Earning My Ph.D. “With” My Dad - Dr. Ana Guerrero" Click Here
- University of California: "UC community builders on how their Hispanic heritage fuels their work for change" Click Here
- The Montecito Journal: "BRAVO to these Women Leaders" Click Here
- Jessica Dominguez Immigration Law Group (en español): "Joven inmigrante cumple su sueño y se lo dedica a sus padres" Click Here
- Manifest Your Career Podcast: "First-Gen Resilience & Being Authentic at Work" Click Here
- UCSB: "Ana Guerrero Advocates for Latinx Students in Higher Ed" Click Here
- UCSB: "UCSB Students Describe Their Path to Higher Education, Often Paved by Family’s Sacrifice" Click Here
- Grad School Femtoring Podcast: "
71: Networking and Conferencing 101 with Dra. Ana Guerreros"Click Here
- The Way to College Podcast: "Ana Guerrero- The First-Gen Advocate" Click Here
- FirstGen_Resilience Instagram: Click Here